About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Monday, September 20, 2010

Scholarships?

Everyone who knows me knows that I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY want to go to NYU for college. There's a list of reasons why.

1. HELLO. IT'S NEW YORK
2. It will look excellent on a resume, especially when one considers that I want to go into a performing arts career.
3. I'll be in the same place where I want to live for the rest of my life.
4. I'll be in the same place where I want to work for the rest of my life.
5. They've got a well-respected music program (operated through the Steinhardt School of Culture Education and Human Development), which I'm fairly confident I could get into.
5. UM HELLO. IT'S NEW YORK.

NYU is conveniently placed in Manhattan. It seems like the absolute perfect college for me. I'm fairly wary about going to a conservatory school because they won't allow any non-music majors (I do want a fall-back plan) and they are sometimes only two-year programs, which won't give me the amount of teaching I need to become a fairly well-rounded persona. And that freaks me out.

The problem with NYU is... it's the second-most expensive school in the country.

When it comes to overall tuition, room/board, and the rest, it's expensive. My parents have informed me that if I get in, there's no way in heck that they will be able to pay for it. And, unfortunately, my parents make just enough money so that I won't be able to get a ton of financial aid (though I'm hoping that's not entirely true-- doesn't the FAFSA consider where you're going to college?) So, it's up to me to go scholarship hunting in order to make my dream come true.

Another problem with NYU is that it only offers Early Decision options for admittance. If I get in, I'm locked in. There's no going back. I've gotta come up with some sort of money. Student loans are, of course, always an option, but my parents both are against it, because they were still paying off student loans after I was born. It is an option, but I'm not sure that I want to take it.

However, people who do Early Decision I are the first to get their hands on financial aid. A significant percent of students at NYU get financial aid. But I'm afraid that I'll get in... but be screwed financially.

I'm really hoping to make NYU work out. REALLY REALLY HOPING. Like, if I can't make it work out, I'll be crushed. No joke.

New York is calling me!

No comments:

Post a Comment