About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Brazil

Well, we had our first Willy Wonka "rehearsal" of sorts. It was more of a cast meeting with a readthrough rather than an actual rehearsal, but that's beyond the point.

I know that this show is going to be awesome. :D

The only trouble is, my character, Mr. Salt-- who, I might add, is traditionally a British character-- hails from Brazil. And I've gotta come up with the accent.

If you Google "Brazilian Accent," absolutely nothing of any use comes up. You would probably (I say "probably" because I haven't actually conducted a field test) get more useful results for the query of "Brazilian Wax." I'm just saying. Anything goes in these modern times.

But I finally found a Yahoo Answers that told me that there are several different types of Brazilian accents. Apparently, people who hail from Sao Paulo-- the home of the Salt family-- speak with an Italian accent.

Unfortunately, I keep slipping into my Russian, Asian, or Indian accents while trying to pathetically speak in an Italian accent. Learning accents is harder than people may give it credit for. But I'll eventually get it. It will just take a bit of practice, with perhaps the addition of immersion into Brazilian culture. Maybe I'll take a mini-vacation. For purposes of research (and... multiculturalism.)

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment