About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reevaluating Reevaluation

And, once again, we have reached the end of a weekend. And it's 11:33, and even though I'll regret this in the morning, I'm taking the time to blog a bit, since I find it therapeutic. :)

This weekend was fairly mellow. After our Chem Test on Friday, there really was nothing that we particularly had to study. And so, I finally found some extra time to put together my college essay for the Common Application. So, I'm pretty much ready to submit my application to everything but the Manhattan School of Music, which does not accept the Common App (they just have to be different, don't they?)

So anyway, I had another college talk with my parents, who are once again suggesting that I go to CSU, because it's cheap. Don't get me wrong, CSU would certainly be a good choice for me, but I've told my parents time and time again that I feel like it's taking the easy way out. I know I can get into CSU. I want to at least try to raise sufficient funds to go to a music school.

I've always lived by a philosophy that the only you can 100% ensure you won't get something is to not go for it. There's a chance that I can get significant financial aid and live my dream of studying in New York City, which is where I'm going to end up working, anyway. (I know I can at least get a job at Ellen's Stardust Diner as a singing waiter. ;) ha.)

There is a significant advantage of going to CSU, though, even though it's in-state. There's a professor there who's been following me since I was a freshman, and I'm pretty sure I can get a significant scholarship there-- and it's already an inexpensive school to begin with. If I get a Bachelor's of Music there, I should be able to make the transfer to MSM for a 2-year grad program. Two years at Manhattan would still be enough to send me on my way in NYC, and it'd be significantly less expensive. Plus, at CSU, I would be able to study more than just music, so I could ensure that I'd have some sort of career when I get out of college to support myself-- music performance is a risky business. Especially with all the tenor-happy composers out there on Broadway. :P

I seem to be changing my plans for school every week. And I haven't even submitted any apps yet. Three weeks ago, my dream school was NYU. Now I'm not so sure.

Why must college cost so much?!? GAH.

But since I don't want to end this blog on a negative note, I had chicken Parmesan for dinner tonight. It was delicious and ate far more than the Department of Agriculture deems a full serving. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment