About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Thursday, October 14, 2010

ALLSTATE

Okay. It didn't go too badly. I don't think. Then again, it's really the judge's call-- if there's anything I've learned from years of competitions both in the field of piano and voice, music competitions are very subjective, and a lot of your score may depend on whether the judge likes you.

Luckily, though, the judge I got seemed very kind and loving (of course... it could have been a facade to lull me into a false sense of security). Of the categories... here's my own personal critique (though I of course may be biased. :P)

1. SOLO (Pieta, Signore by Alessandro Stradella)
I think it went pretty well. My voice was cooperating with me, and the room itself had fairly good acoustics. I went at a comfortable speed. According to G, there were a few (very minor) pronunciation issues, but Pieta is a fairly new song, so I, of course, am going to have a few minor adjustments to make (if I get anything out of Allstate, it will be a helpful critique for this song which I can use when I sing it in further engagements. ;D)

2. TRIADS
They all went well, though I slid slightly on the Diminished (which, ironically enough, was the one I felt most confident in. There's a life lesson for you.) I'm not sure if I got knocked a point off for that or not.

3. INTERVALS
They all went well, with the exception of one of my sung intervals, which was like half a step off. (A minor third descending-- the judge herself said that was a fairly cruel choice. :P)

4. SCALES
Perfect. I'm sorry. They just were. :)

5. SIGHTREADING
Melodic sightreading was, of course, my weakest point in my audition. Having said that, however, I think I did very well on the first one. I would say it was perfect except for the fact that I have no way of knowing. So I gave myself an 8 out of 10. The second one did not go nearly as well-- especially when I realize that it contained an accidental which I probably botched. BUT I do think I ended on the right note, so finding my way back has got to get me something. As far as rhythmic sightreading goes, I think I did well except on one measure, which should give me a score of 8 out of 10.

All in all, I don't think I did too shabby. There are, of course, points to improve on, but I doubt that there are many perfect scores. I hope to get in, of course, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't-- I've got a lot of other things working for me. :)

And the fact that I made it there and back in one piece is reward enough for me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment