About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Willy. Freaking. Wonka

So yeah. I intend to participate in five dramatic productions this year. Tonight, the second of those ended. So bittersweet... the ending of a show. But I like to look at it as the beginning of a new journey... and then the music gets... happy.

But seriously. It was a lot of fun.

As I said on Facebook, back in September, when I first got the role of Mr. Salt, I had absolutely no idea how much fun I would have in the role. Seriously. For a few moments of self-pity after I received my call about the part, I was a little disappointed in myself that I hadn't gotten a bigger role. I had massively failed to understand the vast, immense excitement that this character would offer me.

Since this was my second NYT show, I no longer had to deal with the awkwardness of being a new kid, which, for all intensive purposes, was mostly caused by me being introverted at the beginning of Aida rehearsals back in April-- I was actually very warmly welcomed into the cult... er... society. I just had a little trouble adjusting to such a new environment. Before Aida, I had only participated in school productions, which-- as far as professionalism and conciseness goes-- were nothing compared to NYT. It was a new kind of animal for me to comprehend, and now that I've participated in two productions, I'm really glad I joined. In fact, my only regret is that I didn't start sooner. I could have started at NYT at age eight and participated in all the shows that they've put on. But I'm glad to have what I have. :)

But I digress.

Besides the excitement of the role itself, I was really blessed to get to know some of the NYT people a little bit better. One unfortunate handicap of Aida was, for instance, the fact that most of Zoser's scenes were with his ministers, so I was unable to get to know anyone (besides the ministers, of course :D) very well. In Willy Wonka, most of my scenes (with the exception of the first one) were with most of the cast, so I was able to get to know everyone a lot better. The NYT kids are a special breed of human-- they're outgoing, social, awesome, and uncaring of what people think of them. They're the stereotypical theatre kids, but blown up way out of proportion. It's ridiculous, really. I've gotten to work with a lot of great people, and I hope to have that chance again when April rolls around. For you see, dear blog-readers, NYT is putting on Sound of Music, and that, coupled with whatever the choir musical will be (which will be done during school, so I'll actually have something reminiscent of a life then), will mark the end of my dramatic endeavors as a high school senior. As a minor. Then I move onto the exciting world of college.

Dear Lord. I'm excited. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment