About the Awesome

This blog contains the random thoughts of an 18-year-old vocal performance major. Proceed with caution.

About Eric

My photo
Thornton, CO, United States

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Wonderful World of Colleges and Scholarships

So, I haven't blogged in a while, and I've been pushed by numerous people to do so. Apparently my life is so exciting that if people don't hear about it enough, they get very upset. And I can't have that happening on my watch. So, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. :D

Really, the main thing discussed in this blog are my college plans. They can be elaborated upon much more in a full blog than in a Facebook status... or even a note. I feel like the blog offers me a greater area of elucidative analysis.

So, anyway, six out of the nine colleges I've applied to have accepted to me, and five of them have offered me significant scholarships.

The contenders:

CSU is in first, having offered me $2000 for academics, $3000 for vocal abilities, and $1000 for joining the honors program. This may not seem like a lot, but since CSU is a state school with a tuition of only about $6500 (according to Cappex.com, at least, excluding room and board), that is very significant. Nearly a full ride. Which is great.

DU is in second, having offered me $17,000 for academics and $10,000 for vocal abilities, making for a very good package. Unfortunately, since DU is in fact a private school and costs a lot more ($35,000 a year, not including room and board), the $27,000 award falls about $8000 short. Granted, it's a great scholarship, but my college fund doesn't quite allow for it.

Coming into third place is DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, which has offered me a whopping $19,000 for academics and an additional $5,000 for vocal abilities. DePauw's tuition, however, is still $33,000, so they're falling short as well.

Rolling on into fourth is Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, which offered me $18,000 for academics. Again, it costs about as much as DePauw, and I didn't actually send them an audition, so they're not very likely. Which is sad, because my beautiful stage wife KT goes there.

At fifth place is St. Olaf College, which only had the decency to offer me a $6500 annual academic award-- hardly enough to make a significant dent in their $35,000 tuition. So they're pretty much out of the running, especially considering I neglected to send them a vocal audition either. (I thought their deadline was January 1, when it was in fact December 15. My bad.)

And in last place is Capital University in Columbus, Ohio, the alma matter of my aunt and both of my grandparents. They've offered me nothing. Those jerks.

At this point, I'm still waiting for admission decisions from NYU, The University of Miami, and the University of the Pacific. My hopes for significant scholarships are, of course, not high from NYU, but I can still have hope, can't I? I should hear from them around April for both academic and music scholarships (if any). I'll probably have a week in all to decide where I'm going.

Right now it's CSU, which actually is not something that I feel bad about. I've had a few family members (who, by the way, are NOT paying my tuition) who have chastised me for sinking as low to go to a state school (GASP!), but I have others (including my immediate family) who are all for CSU, because all in all I've been very impressed by what I've seen of their program and they have, in fact, made me the best offer so far. Plus, Ft. Collins is not too far from home. And if, for some bizarre reason, I do not like it there, I can always transfer my credits someplace else. I, of course, would probably go someplace else to obtain my Masters in Music Performance (I'm still hoping for a big name conservatory-- either Manhattan or the San Francisco Conservatory), but that's four years down the road.

And so, until next time, I bid you adieu, my faithful readers. I wish you the best. When I make my decision, you'll be the first to know. (With, of course, the possible exception of the university itself... and my family... and probably people on Facebook. THEN blog-readers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment